If moving day is around the corner for you then it’s time to start thinking about what you will need once you arrive at your new home. There are some things that you just have to have to help make your move an easy one. Prepare a “day of move” bag or box and include the items listed below. Be sure the movers do not pack this box or bag and it arrives with you to the new house.
1. Scissors or box cutters. Your move will go some much quicker if you have a box cutter or scissors for opening boxes for every person who will be helping you unpack. This will help so people don’t have to keep running from room to room asking where the box cutter is. Bring enough box cutters or scissors for every adult who will be helping on the day of move in.
2. Trash bags. Remember your moving boxes can typically be recycled or resold, so you will want to keep trash in trash bags. Many people often run across items that they no longer want. Fill up trash bags with items you want to donate and try to have a friend take them to a donation drop off to get them out of your new house fast.
3. Basic cleaning supplies. You never know what you might find on the day you move into your new home. It’s a good idea to have a broom, paper towels, glass cleaner, a general purpose cleaner (I recommend Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser), a dish sponge, small bottle of dish soap, a dish towel, hand soap for each level of the house, and hand towels one for each level of the house.
4. Sharpie and masking tape. Use your Sharpie marker and masking tape to label trash bags as: trash, donate, recycle, etc. A sharpie is also handy to have around to relabel boxes if needed.
5. Toilet paper. Need I say more? Bring a least one roll for each level of the house.
These are just a few items you should not be without on the day of your move. Don’t forget patience and your sense of humor. Being prepared will help you from making too many extra trips to the store on the day of your move.
Here’s to an easy move!
Copyright (C) 2008 Angela Ploetz, POSH Space www.theposhspace.com.